In Sickness and in Health


In sickness and in health.. One of the most important words said in traditional vows.. Little did my husband know that this vow would really be tested t-minus 24hrs before our wedding.

I'm going to start this story a few days before our big day..
The Monday before our wedding I woke up with chills, nausea and typical stomach flu symptoms. A quick visit to the doctor confirmed that it was, in fact, a stomach flu. The doc also threw in that I was probably suffering from pre-wedding nerves. I went along with his "assumption" but really, I knew it had nothing to do with nerves.

A few days past and I was still recovering from my "flu." My sweet husband did what he could to finish last minute preparations for our wedding while still checking on me.. even though I was either a coach potato or confined to the toilet.. so romantic.

Flash forward to the night before our rehearsal dinner- All of my family & friends from California had arrived and we enjoyed cocktails and dinner together in beautiful Big Sky, Montana. I was finally starting to feel like a human again after a week of pre-wedding flu's. Perfect timing right? I mean at least I wasn't sick for our rehearsal dinner or wedding day! Oh, but just wait..

I woke up the morning of our rehearsal dinner with the same clammy feeling I had the first day of my flu. I think my first words waking up that morning were, "Oh shit. Not this again." I tried to brush it off as best as I could & grab some breakfast with my bridesmaids. Our sweet breakfast together was quickly ruined by my screams for the nearest bathroom. Oh no... it was happening again, the day before my freaking wedding. I kept thinking I was going to end up like Lilian from the movie Bridesmaids on my big day, shitting in my beautiful white wedding dress.

A trip to the ER was in order after the pain got too unbearable. The lady at the front desk checked me in asked what she usually asks people who come in, "What are we seeing you for?"I tearfully replied, "Today is my rehersal dinner day.. and I get married tomorrow. I feel like I'm dying." I swear I made that poor lady cry with my sob story. After 3hrs in the ER, the Dr. comes back with.. "I think it's pre-wedding stress." ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? This was not pre-wedding stress. He gave me some pain & anti-anxiety meds and we were on our way back. P.S. This definitely was NOT pre-wedding stress. In a later blog I'll discuss what actually was going on with my stressed-out stomach.

I was able to put a smile on my face and get through the rehearsal dinner.. Even though I couldn't actually eat the dinner without another frantic trip to the bathroom. Anyway, the morning of our wedding I woke up feeling like a human. PRAISE THE LORD. Our wedding was absolutely beautiful. We laughed, we cried, and most importantly I got to marry my sweet husband.

On our wedding night, I looked at Dakota and said, "Are you sure you don't want a 30 day money back guarantee on me?" He laughed, thought about my offer and said, "Nah, I'll just make sure I buy some good insurance on you."

Moral of this blog post

Shit happens. At the end of the day, you will love your spouse through think and thin, in sickness and in health.. just like mine did.. Even before he said his vows. Life has a way of throwing you curve-balls when you least expect it. Seriously, the day before my wedding.. C'mon! It's about how you & your spouse handle these situations that determine your happiness through other obstacles to come. In our case, our faith in God (prayers) and our hilarious wits make situations like mine above.. a little easier.

Pictured above: My husband and I doing the lift from Dirty Dancing
I've had the time of my life.. No I've never felt this way before. Yes I swear, it's the truth.. and I owe it all to you.



(Swearing in this blog was used for dramatic effect)


Love,

Lex





Comments

Popular Posts